Discipline is for self and not for others and even neither for show off. It helps oneself and other seekers to be maintain inner peace and harmony, with less distraction.
For Staying at SOS Meditation centre, it is compulsory to take meditation retreats/own individual retreat.
To stay at SOS we ask all meditators and visitors to observe the following rules of discipline in order to maintain peaceful atmosphere for everyone :
- Avoid taking the life of beings - This rule applies to all living beings not just humans. All beings have a right to their lives and that right should be respected.
- Avoid taking things not given - This rule goes further than mere stealing. One should avoid taking anything unless one can be sure that is intended that it is for you.
- Celibacy - This rule is often mistranslated or misinterpreted as relating only to sexual misconduct but it covers any overindulgence in any sensual pleasure such as gluttony as well as misconduct of a sexual nature.This also includes no holding hands, hugging, massages and other physical displays of affection.
- Refrain yourself from false speech - As well as avoiding lying and deceiving, this precept covers slander as well as speech which is not beneficial to the welfare of others.
- Abstain from substances which cause intoxication and heedlessness - No drugs, alcohol, or other intoxicants should be brought to the site; this also applies to tranquilizers, sleeping pills, and all other sedatives. Those taking medicines or drugs on a doctor's prescription should notify at the time of registration.
- Be considerate of the dress - Dress should be simple, modest, and comfortable. Tight, transparent, revealing, or otherwise striking clothing (such as shorts, short skirts, tights, sleeveless or skimpy tops) should not be worn. Sunbathing and partial nudity are not permitted. This is important in order to minimize distraction to others.
- Be considerate of others’ silence - Keep silence in the appropriate areas and at all times during residential courses, especially in the meditation hall and the dormitories. No singing or playing music and in general, maintain a quiet environment while on the campus.
Discipline for Retreats
- Outside settlement - Please settle all outside communication before the course begins. Telling friends and family that you will be out of contact for the duration of the course and sticking by that decision significantly reduces distraction from investigation into the workings of your own mind! Likewise, please settle your travel arrangements etc before you come to SOS!
No outside communications is allowed before the course ends. This includes letters, phone calls and visitors. Cell phones, pagers, and other electronic devices must be deposited with the management until the course ends. In case of an emergency, a friend or relative may contact the management.
- Noble Silence - You are expected to observe silence (no talking at all) from the evening of the first day until the end of the course. Noble Silence means silence of body, speech, and mind. Any form of communication with fellow student, whether by gestures, sign language, written notes, etc., is prohibited. Students may, however, speak with the teacher whenever necessary and they may approach the management with any problems related to food, accommodation, health, etc. But even these contacts should be kept to a minimum. Students should cultivate the feeling that they are working in isolation.
- Outside Visit - Do not leave SOS premise during the entire course. Students must remain within the course boundaries throughout the course. They may leave only with the specific consent of the teacher.
- Duration - Participants must attend all sessions of the course and come to sessions on time.
- Music, Reading and Writing - Please put all communication / entertainment devices (laptop / mobile phones /cameras / MP3/CD players) etc into our safe at check-in. The playing of musical instruments, radios, etc. is not permitted. No reading or writing materials should be brought to the course. Students should not distract themselves by taking notes. The restriction on reading and writing is to emphasize the strictly practical nature of this meditation.
Recording Devices and Cameras - Not allowed to be used during the course. However, can be used on the last last day once the silence is over.
- Be Gentle- Please be gentle in your behaviour and sensitive to fellow group members.
- Yoga and Physical Exercise Besides scheduled physical yoga and pranayam exercises session, they should be suspended during the course, because these activities can disturb and distract other people . Participants may exercise during rest periods by walking in the designated areas.
In case of individual retreats above mentioned rules may vary depending on the participant. For example, one may use mobile/laptop etc, but the limited time, without disturbing others. Silence still will be the utmost criteria.
We serve simple vegetarian food. As we are located in hills and have very limited staff, It is not possible to satisfy the special food preferences and requirements of all the meditators. Participants are therefore kindly requested to make do with the simple vegetarian meals provided. The course management endeavors to prepare a balanced, wholesome menu suitable for meditation. If any students have been prescribed a special diet because of ill-health, they should inform the management at the time of application. Fasting is strictly not permitted.
Laundry and Bathing
No washing machines or dryers are available, so students should bring sufficient clothing. Small items can be hand-washed. Bathing and laundry may be done only in the break periods and not during meditation hours. If the course duration is more than 7 days, then participant may request for laundry service.
Thank you so much for your support.